“Praise the Lord” A music video by Rich Barnes

In 2013 I found a different calling and started to go to a Christian church in downtown Fredericksburg. In February of 2014 I was baptized and became a Christian. Prior to this lifestyle change I had been a death metal musician for over 15 years. I would soon become a member of the worship band at my church. I was a death metal musician Monday-Saturday and a worship leader on Sundays. I fused the two elements together in 2014 and made a Christian death metal album. For anyone that is curious here is a song (with cheesy video) from it:

First yes, my death metal band is called Telephone Pole Cancer. I shared this song so you can get an idea of my “normal” singing voice and playing style. Obviously the vocal style I used is not for everyone! I wrote a few worship songs last year and I finally recorded the song called “Praise the Lord.” Praise was the first recorded song I tried to sing on since 2002. This is the song and video. Hope you enjoy it!

The assignment was http://assignments.ds106.us/assignments/create-a-music-video-2/ worth 5 stars.

This was by far the most time consuming assignment I have done for DS106. I used CoolEdit96 to record the song. I recorded the guitar first, then the bass, the drums and the keyboards last. The very last thing I did was the vocals which are sometimes layered over multiple times. I avoid vocal effects but there are parts where there are five or six of me singing! This is an original song I wrote created from the Psalms in the bible.

The video was shot at my house and I also went down to Old Mill Park to shoot some video. The scene with the water would be the Rappahannock River. It was difficult deciding what to shoot for this video. I did not want to take any copyrighted pictures from the internet. I tried to go for symbolism with shots representing things that remind me of God. Things like water (baptism), trees (life) and the sky (heaven). I also tried out a few low camera angles that I mentioned in my blogs from earlier in the week. I used PowerDirector to do the opening title and imbed the cross in the sky via green screen. First the title:

praise tut 1

Now the green screen effect. The shot of the cross in front of the green screen is on the left and the cross with the green removed is to the right. I also added a visual star effect after the green screen was finished.

praise tut 2

Fellow Ds106er’s, green screen (AKA Chroma Key) is a blast to work with but can also be VERY frustrating. You cannot have any shadows behind the subject you are shooting. You need one simple consistent green color behind your subject. This was fairly simple to do but it can get much more difficult when the object you are shooting is moving. If you would like to try out green screen first you’ll need software that supports it. PowerDirector and iMovie can be used, last I checked Windows Movie Maker cannot. There are also numerous tutorials on YouTube. Windows Movie Maker is great for simple editing and that’s what I used to piece this together. A screen shot of the whole video:

praise tut 3

I used a few effects in Movie Maker which can be found under the top via “Visual Effects.” The words were added by clicking on the caption button. I cannot stress enough to just play around and have fun. I am a self taught musician and learned everything I have done in video by trial and error. I know if I can do it you will all succeed as well.

2 thoughts on ““Praise the Lord” A music video by Rich Barnes

1. Tyler Gimple

Wow I really like this production. Was the music track entirely you playing those instruments and singing? If so very well done. I noticed you used a different video editing software than I am familiar with. It would be interesting if you tried to make the exact same video using Imovie. That way you would be skilled with two different video editing programs. Well done!

2. richbarnes106

Thanks Tyler. Yes sir that is 100% me doing everything. I used iMovie for a film back in 2011 via an ex’s Mac. I currently have only Windows based computers so no access to iMovie. PowerDirector is usually free with HP computers and of course Movie Maker is free with all Windows products.