Cinema Technique 2 – Camera Angles and Techniques

My second film technique will be based off the video below:

The first effect described is the Zolly. The Zolly is a camera effect in which the camera operator dollys in the reverse direction and speed in which he or she is zooming. I have seen this effect before but have never seen the movie Vertigo. The video shows a brief shot of a Zolly effect on a staircase and it is an amazing shot. I am quite surprised they did not reference the Zolly that always comes to my mind, Jaws!

This an incredible shot from one of my favorite films. I did not know it was called the Zolly and I wish I had a dolly so I could do my own Zolly shot!

Camera angles are the other topic in this video. I really liked the part where the girl is “climbing” the wall. Camera trickery is a useful effect and I learned that with clever shot selection, you can have the audience buy into whatever you are selling.

Although there were only two techniques mentioned, I found this to be helpful and will try to use a variety of camera angles in the future. It should be noted this video also mentions shooting at low angles. As part of this total assignment I have reviewed an article by Roger Ebert and watched video’s by Quentin Tarantino, both involved shooting from low angles. I guess this low angle thing is REALLY important in the cinematic universe!

4 thoughts on “Cinema Technique 2 – Camera Angles and Techniques

1. Mohammed Taractar

Its amazing to know that with simple out of norm camera techniques, great and memorable scenes can be produced. The thing I liked the most is the fact that a camera operator has to think “out of box”. I believe this way creative techniques like Zolly have be discovered. Undoubtedly there are video editing software these days that can do many things that used to take a lot effort back in the days but innovation is what comes with less technology and more effort and love for your work.

1. richbarnes106

I agree with your thoughts on innovation. In the movies I have done, some of the best scenes/lines were ad-libbed or we had to think outside the box.

2. Adriel Brooks

I think low angels are important to because it make the character to superior then what every they are compared to. I also believe low angles give a surprise effect as it pertains to the audience. Do you think that the producer is trying to let the audience know that he has ultimate control ?

1. richbarnes106

I would think the director is the one who has ultimate control! Kidding aside, I think you would want your audience to think the main character/hero/villain are in control of their respective scene.