Cinema Technique 1 – Tarantino from Below

The first cinema technique I will look at is Tarantino’s from below. Watch the video below for examples of this technique.

Watching the various clips from Tarantino’s films showed me this a great method that I should use more often in my own films. There were may scenes where I felt this angle gave his characters power and presence on screen. Film reviewer Roger Ebert had said “Extreme high angle shots make characters into pawns; low angles make them into gods.” His statement holds true in these clips and Tarantino uses the from below to great effect. I really think it worked well in his film Inglorious Basterds. The scene with Brad Pitt holding the knife over another character really gives power to his character and a sense of doom to the character he is talking too. That shot could also be considered a POV shot – which means point of view. The POV shot is most scene in video games such as Halo and Call of Duty. You see things from your characters perspective. I think the first time I saw a POV shot in film was 1987’s Predator with Arnold Schwarzenegger, but that’s another story…